Navigation About Etsy Fabric Inspiration How To

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Managing a household with 5 small children and an ETSY shop.



Today I wanted to talk a little about how I manage my many interests and hobbies while (trying) to take care of my five little children, husband, and home.

I get asked a lot about it, and wanted to share some tips I have learned over the last couple of years. I have by no means perfected it because, well, life happens.

Not only do I run my Etsy shop, but also lead a women's Bible study at my home once week, which means time prepping for that, and CLEANING! I also am pretty into couponing because it is just worth it to be. I am sure I save at least 50-60% off of my big shopping trips using them. With 5 small children 2 of which are in diapers it is well worth my time in prepping for that.
  I also home school, and play taxi for my children to do a home school co-op, gymnastics, soccer, and church


SO-what are my tips I have learned?

#1....GET and STAY organized. It is amazing the amount of time you save when you have a place for everything and everything in it's place.

#2....TEACH your children from the ground up to contribute to the work load. It is vital for them to know that they are an important part of keeping the household running. At my children's ages they do about half off the housework, and as they get older It will be more like 80%.  Judge their threshold, and do not overwork, and be sure to heap on a lot of praise.

#3....KEEP your children on a regular schedule. We have nap time at our house (rest time for the older ones) from 12-3 almost everyday, and that is when I work. They also have a bedtime usually before 8:00pm (We aim for 7:30)

#4...ALWAYS put GOD first in EVERYTHING that you do. I am certain that when I am walking in HIS will I can do ALL things, but away from him and his presence I am useless, and my labor is in vain.

#5 LOVE your husband, and RESPECT him. Your marriage is the root that nourishes your whole family. Keep it strong. Make sure you are on the same page with him, and remember YOU are his HELPmeet, and not there to bring on more stress...It is VERY important that my husband is satisfied and happy to as much as my ability.

#6 SET your household up in such a way that it supports both your children and your ETSY shop. When we moved to this house we had an upstairs built that was intended as a sewing room, and play room. I know this is definalty not feasible for everyone, but customize your space to support your family and your craft. This is pretty much a perfect set up for us because I can work and my kids can play or watch videos. (or sew, my daughters 5&6 have a sewing machine, and a big container of fabric that I gave them They love to make up outfits and stitch them together along side me)
 
                                                      upstairs  Before
                                                   (one section of the upstairs)After

And that is all I have for now, but I just wanted to give some pointers on what I have learned. Have great day!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing - I have only 2 kids and still trying to figure out how to organize all this.
    I have a question to you though - when older children are resting, what are the little once doing? And how you manage to work when kids are awake - aren't they demand your attention, especially the little once?

    And one more compliment to your renovated room - looks so elegant - I would like to see the rest of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and one more request - may I republish this tips on my blog, linking to yours of cause?

    ReplyDelete